Wednesday 22 October 2008

I Can't Believe It's Not Punk...

I can't believe it! Just about my all time hero has gone and pissed me off not once, but twice in little more than a month! If you are a regular reader, then you'll already know that I was less than impressed with the Sex Pistols when I saw em last month (full review here). Reason? One Mr J Lydon. Now he's gone and made two of the worst adverts I think I've ever seen, and what product has he put his once credible arse on?? Country Life Butter!

Over the years, many have been tempted by the sell out, but Lydon always seemed to rise above it all. There was something about the man that always seemed to embody the true spirit of punk, and whilst the fire faded in many, Lydon maintained the rage that he had back in 76. I even forgave him in 2004 when he went on 'I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here'. Once I got over the initial shock, he actually became compulsive viewing, as he ranted, snarled and swore his way through camp, giving airheads like Jordan and Kerry Katona a few home truths in the process.

One of the things that annoyed me when I saw the Pistols live the other month, was Lydon continually going on about how 'great' Great Britain was. It was so insincere, especially from a man who has lived in LA since the 80's. Yet once again in these adverts he's banging on about all things British.. Has 'ol Johnny got an eye on the vacancy left by the Queen Mum a few years back?

These new ads really are embarrassing, I mean you can't even pass them off as an ironic, tongue-in-cheek kinda thing. Johnny Rotten is the ultimate iconic image of Punk, and the 70's, and right through the 80's and 90's he never sold out. The man has obviously done the adverts solely for the money, and good luck to him if that's what he wants (although I doubt he's short of a bob or two with his property business and millionairess wife), but it's a shame to see him sell off his credibility so cheaply, watering down his image more and more in the process, with each ill-advised move.

If you've not seen them, my advise is don't click on the videos below, and keep the memory of Johnny Rotten alive! Mind you, if you DO risk it, the second ad is followed by a pretty funny video by Mick Jones and Tony James' new band Carbon Silicon - The Whole Truth.





To help erase the memory, here's the man again performing my all time favourite record, in what is still one of the most mesmerising videos ever:



Piley

11 comments:

rockmother said...

All I have to say is: ever feel like you've been cheated?!

Anonymous said...

it just took him longer is all. warble

Mondo said...

I've got no problem with him doing the ad's - why not? No one complained about a John Peel's loss of integrity for doing commercials (and he did a stack load).

The Pistols were never The Clash, all pious and preachy - they always had a sense of fun check out Ray Stevenson's Sex Pistols File for behind the scenes carry on's and the arseing around during this and at the end of this

Nah! Good Luck to him I say - he's never played by the rules why should he now. He's paid his dues, inspired God know how many people - better this than some Charlie Harper type banging on about 'punks not dead'

Anonymous said...

For another insight into Mr Rotten check out my mate Johnny's Sex Pistols story. Its not long and outlines the lengths he went to try and meet him and what happened when he finally did.

http://johnnyspage.tripod.com/sexpis.html

Piley said...

Cheers all...

RM - not sure if your comment was re the adverts or the avalance of nob-head who were briefly loitering in the comments section today!

Warble... never a fan then??!

Mondo - Fair do's Sir... mind you, you are on such a Pistols buzz at the mo, you's bound to be a bit biased!

PH - thanks for that - great read. I felt for him there. BTW - with you being a Mick Jones nut, did you check out the Carbon Silicon video??

P

Anonymous said...

I did watch it, pretty funny stuff mate.

I would recomend Johnnys e book - starts off about his life in Westcliff, schooldays at Belfairs, the Southend punk scene then his round the world travels.

Nazz Nomad said...

filthy lucre-

whatever, i guess he looks at it as the same as bilking e.m.i. out of their money back in the day.

Anonymous said...

The Clash may have been a bit preachy but at least what they said was usually pretty sound, especially their support for Rock Agaist Racism. I think Joe Strummer was one guy who never sold out,exploited his fans or compromised his principles in any way throughout his career. I never met anyone with a bad thing to say about him.RIP

Axe Victim said...

'Let's raise a toast for St. Joe Strummer' sang The Hold Steady. And why not? I agree with P. When I saw this ad I spat my drink out. It was so awful. Still, while he was in England he might as well earn a few more bob to maximise the tax free visit. Everybody has their price.

Axe Victim said...

http://www.myspace.com/theholdsteady

Anonymous said...

I was disapointed when i heard about the ad's but when i saw them they made me laugh (it's Johnny i cant help it). It is shite but what ever he does seem's to amuse me (like I'm a Celeb where he was hilarious and he said cunts on live tv anarchy or what :-). Lets face it it's all bullshit, like re forming the Pistols every 5 mins it's just about money. I love the guy but i just dont really give a fuck any more. Thats why i did not go and see the Pistols, it's done, leave it alone guys, fuck it. I just put on Never Mind The Bollocks and all is right with the world.The Pistols are dead long live the Pistols.

Carl.