- The invasion of Iraq began;
- Apple unveiled this weird iTunes Music Store idea (it'll never work..);
- The final flight of Concorde took place;
- 5th Harry Potter book (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) published;
- 3rd and final film in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy released;
- Madonna and Britney snogged at the MTV awards;
- Phil Spector was arrested for investigation of homicide;
- Goldfrapp released their 'Black Cherry' album;
- Blur released their most recent album to date, 'Think Tank';
- Iggy Pop released 'Skull Ring', including his first new recordings with the Stooges;
- Johnny Cash, Robert Palmer, Bob Hope, Barry White, Bob Monkhouse and Adam Faith all died.
Scary huh??! It's weird how 5 years in history (i.e. a 5 year period before you were around, or at least before you were aware of it) seems a lot longer than a 5 year period that you've lived through.
Here are some more freaky facts from the perspective of the 10 year old me in January 1977, all of which at the time, I no doubt felt had happened in black and white, during the 1800's....
- Jimi Hendrix died 7 years ago;
- Punk started last year!;
- the 45 RPM single was invented 19 years ago;
- Stan Laurel died 12 years ago;
- Sid James died last year;
- Marilyn Monroe died 15 years ago;
- Harold Lloyd died 6 years ago;
- Elvis is still alive!!;
- Some old dudes called the Beatles split up 7 years ago (they were SO old, that their 1st single came out 15 years ago!!);
- Top of the Pops TV show has been going for 13 years;
- Winston Churchill resigned as Prime Minister 22 years ago;
- World War II finished 32 years ago, and food rationing in England only finished 23 years ago.
Ain't it weird how all of these things seem quite recent when you read them now??
Well I've made myself feel ancient... how about you??