Tuesday 8 July 2008

Cheesy Choonsday: Sandie Shaw

Sandie Shaw will always be best known as the mop-topped, bare-footed winner of the 1967 Eurovision Song Contest, but there is a lot more to her musical career than you might think…

In 1969 she released her 5th album, ‘Reviewing The Situation’, which I stumbled on in a charity shop 20+ years later (I’m sure it was 10p!). It’s an album of wall to wall covers, and Sandie produced the whole thing herself. It’s quite a varid collection, going from the title track (from the Oliver soundtrack) thru to the Stones (a pretty good attempt at ‘Sympathy for the Devil’ but how could she forget to do the ‘woo-woos’??! – you find yourself putting them in to help her out!), via the Beatles, Dylan, Donovan, Lovin Spoonful, Rufus Thomas, Bee Gees and Led Zeppelin! - a stunning version of Your Time Is Gonna Come. In 2004 it finally got a CD release, and is well worth picking up.

By far the best two groovy cheesers are 'Love Me Do' and 'Reviewing The Situation', which are here for you to shake a leg to. I know you’re thinking the Oliver one will be shit, but trust me on this one ok?!

Love Me Do:




Reviwing The Situation:




And whilst I'm on a Sandie\Beatle-y buzz, here she is doing a 'fab four' medley:



Piley

3 comments:

Axe Victim said...

Sandie Shaw was my first true love. I wouldn't miss her on the telly. I was a young kid but she had what I wanted. Great singer. A true great of her time. Much overshadowed by Pet Clarke. Shame.
Thanks for this little misty eyed trip down the lane mate.

Mondo said...

It's a great album Sandie's 'Love Me Do' was one of our wedding tunes ? 'Coconut Grove' is a real mellow melter too.

Axe Victim said...

Wedding tunes? Mine was 'Low Rider' by War - I kid you not!